Monday, September 29, 2008

I kissed Paul Newman

A few weeks ago JB and I grabbed dinner at Wendy’s. I dislike fast-food joints, so I ordered my old standby: baked potato and side salad. As I was adding Newman’s Own dressing to my salad, I reflected on how old Paul Newman is getting and how when he dies, everyone will be doing a mega tribute to him. Afterall, he’s a legend. And, he makes some dang good ranch dressing!

Little did I know that he’d go before my baby was even born! He is old and it was his time, but a man like Paul Newman is a rare bird.

I’m not a celebrity watcher like a lot of girls: I have my own life that is interesting enough. But I have always liked Paul Newman. I think it was because he was more than a celebrity—more than just a great actor who was insanely good looking. He did not fall under Hollywood’s demise by leaving scandals in his wake, or by thinking he was better than everyone else just because his face appeared on big screens. Paul Newman was a real man.

One of my favorite quotes of his was about his faithfulness to his wife: “Why would I go out for a hamburger when I have steak at home?” Preach it, Paul!


He was also a huge philanthropist. According to Wikipedia, Newman donated a
ll post-tax profits and royalties from “Newman’s Own” to charity, and as of May 2007, these donations had exceeded $220 million. And this was just one of his charities!

Years ago I was shopping with my old roommates Beth and Amanda when we saw a shirt at JC Penney’s that read, “I kissed Ashton.”

“Screw that!” I said. “I’d rather have a shirt that reads ‘I kissed Paul Newman!’

Beth and Amanda found it quite funny, but I was being serious. I’m sure that countless girls can say that they kissed Ashton Kutcher. But to be able brag that you kissed the great Paul Newman—THAT would set you apart from the crowd.


Well, I never did kiss Paul Newman, but I sure do think he was a hell of a guy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2008/09/newman200809

Here is an interesting article on Paul Newman

Annie

Michigan Girl said...

I would have loved to kiss Paul Newman. Absolutely yummy man.

HLN