Sunday, April 13, 2008

...and know when to shut up


I am an extrovert. Yeah, I know, big surprise. I like being the center of attention in almost any gathering. I gain great enjoyment in holding court by telling stories and recounting funny things I've seen. And everyone thoroughly enjoys it - right?!? Yeah, I didn't think so.

I used to be clueless when it came to noticing when people were losing interest and if they weren't finding the same level of enjoyment from my anecdotes. I'd prattle on and everyone would humor me with bland smiles and awkward silence. It makes me shudder recalling the moments. While I have improved immensely, I still relapse into my old ways. Generally I don't feel that I'm blabbering on, but when I see April's face and it's that "look", then I know I've gone too far. Is it a crime to want to convey the very sense of that which I found amusing? No, but it's lost in translation.

It's amusing knowing that my brother, Austin, is the same way. I'm a couple steps ahead of him though - I'm getting better at knowing when to shut up. I definitely don't want to be "that guy" who whenever he starts talking everyone smirks and rolls their eyes.

Readers, now that we're in a sharing mood what are your flaws?

No comments: