Thursday, July 24, 2008

Big Mama Photo

So I’ve received a couple of requests for “preggo” pics. It is time that I address this.

I have been avoiding it for two reasons.

1.) I don’t like the words Preggo or Preggers.

Preggo makes me think of Prego and Ragu, the spaghetti sauces. When someone says, “Hey Preggo,” I feel like they are eyeing my belly as if it were some delicious pasta-majesty that they can’t wait to devour. This is creepy.

And Preggers makes me think of some sort of scabby skin disease.

“Did you hear about Sandra? She’s got The Preggers!”

Gasp!

“Oh no! What is she going to do?!???”

Those seem to be quite popular terms, and I understand that I am just neurotic about words. But I will never post a “Preggo Pic.” Unless it’s an image of a bowl of pasta.

There are more words in the English language that I actually abhor. I don’t abhor Preggers—it just makes me uncomfortable—really, who wants to be flaunting a skin disease? I do not share which words I abhor because people have used them against me, namely JB. He likes to throw them down to get under my skin. (This is very rude, JB!) Most of these words relate to babies, so I am kind of nervous about my upcoming baby showers and then the part where I HAVE the baby in real life. I have been pretty successful in not uttering these words but I know that won’t last for long.

2.) I am not that fascinated with photos of pregnant ladies, and so I never think to get one taken of myself. I don’t have the general fascination with pregnancy and babies that most women do. Couple that with the fact that I am always the one behind the camera, and also that I am not photogenic so people are not drawn to taking photos of me, and you get NO PHOTOS OF APRIL! This has always been a bummer for me. It’s very rare that my photo is taken, and I always seem to jack them up because I don’t know how to smile naturally, etc.

However, I will honor those with a curiosity of how the gut is progressing with the best that image that I can muster. It is from the Fourth of July weekend at the Farm. I know what you’ll say…I can’t really see your gut! Yeah, sorry. Nothing I can do about that. To help you get an idea of what I look like today, people say that I look HUGE (like as big as my coworker Lisa, who is due in 2.5 weeks), but I’ve only gained 15 lbs so far (right on target), so I’m not sure where that idea is coming from. I’ve known women who have gained 45, 60, and 90 lbs in pregnancy. THAT, my friends, is HUGE. Also, my doc recently said that I’m hiding things better because I’m so tall. Then the next day a coworker exclaimed how big I looked. IDK. I’ve got 2.5 months left.

I can’t promise any more big mama photos. JB is not particularly interested in them, either, so unless I train Lucy to work my camera, I’m not sure I’ll have much more to share. Sorry, guys!

4 comments:

Michigan Girl said...

April,
I also don't understand the fascination with pregnancy photos of people. I also don't like the words "preggers" or "preggo," they are stupid to me. It's "pregnant" or even "expecting" if you want to be delicate. Or "Knocked up" if you want to be crude. So, I have not, and never will, ask you for Preggo photos. But I hope you're doing well, can't wait to see you at your shower.
HLN

Anonymous said...

You crack me up. I laughed out loud and two of my co-workers now think I've lost my mind.

I don't torment you. I toughen you up. Love you!

saraho said...

thank you for the picture :) i will post more house pictures tonight. as for the "preggo" or "preggers" comment i usually do not say those words either (thinking prego pasta sauce too) but i have heard them so much lately that it just came out. i like the expecting or pregnant common words too.

...thanks for the picture :) you look fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I am guilty of the prego word. I don't think I've ever said/typed preggers, I could be wrong though?

I realize those are stupid words. BUT just so you understand for the spelling impaired, such as myself, prego is way easier on the brain! LOL. I don't think I say it so much has write/type it.
Becasue I love you, I shall try and remember you don't want your tummy called "pasta" in the future.
Also, I think you are cute in pictures! So saying you are not photogenic is silly.

OK that is all. "-)

JEss